Thursday, April 7, 2016

Prayer based on Luke 1

Meditation on Luke 1

Lord, give to me certainty about the reality and truth of the good news of your incarnation and redemptive mission to save us in your sacrificial death and resurrection.  Help the concrete reality of this historical invasion of salvation impact me and give me internal security and hope. 

It was in the reign of Herod the Great that John and Jesus were born. 

http://www.notablebiographies.com/He-Ho/Herod-the-Great.html

YOU LORD, act in real time and real space.  This is no make-believe world.  This is the real world.  YOU are real.  

Zechariah has been praying that he might have a son.  Even though his wife was old and beyond the normal circumstances of life.  It is interesting that even though Zechariah lacked faith that his prayer could be answered, yet he had prayed for it.  Lord, I thank you that you answer prayers even when they are weak in faith. 

The will of God for Zechariah's son is different than he would have wanted or thought.  For John was not be a priest following in his dad's footsteps but a prophet who ministered outside the establishment of the temple.  Lord, your plans for our children can be very different than our plans.  Help us Lord, help me Lord, to accept the destiny you have for my children. 

Lord, May had not prayed to become the mother of the Messiah.  YOU chose here by grace alone to be the means by which YOUR incarnation would take place.  She became the most honored of all women by grace alone.  

LORD Jesus, dear Joshua help me see you more clearly.   Help me see you as the fulfillment of Psalm 2 and as the ultimate Davidic King.  Allow me to bow my heart before you in submission and praise for you have come to deliver me.  There is no end to your KINGDOM.  

YOUR power in the HOLY SPIRIT created your human nature within the womb of the virgin.  YOU created the second Adam out of the dust of a woman's womb.  Nothing, not even incarnation, is impossible for YOU great all-powerful maker of heaven and earth.  Help me trust in the idea that there are no impossibilities for you.  

Forgive me my lack of faith in your power. 

LORD, let me surrender to your will as Mary surrendered to your will, that your kingdom would come and will be done on earth as in heaven.  

Fill me with the Holy Spirit this day.  Let my heart leap with joy as I think about your love for me in leaving heaven and coming to earth.  Let my soul respond to the greatness of your love.   

Lord, let my soul see you in the awe and greatness that YOU are in reality!  Pour out your mercy upon us.  Grant us a good and healthy fear of you in our hearts.  Keep us from pride.  Provide for us humility.  Fill us for we hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Open our eyes to your great salvation.   

Yahweh is gracious is the meaning of the name John.  Clearly you desired to send a message to us that YOU are saving us by your abundant grace and mercy alone.  

LORD, in the coming of John and Jesus you have brought to us your message and means of salvation.  The enemies of our souls, the flesh, the world, and the devil are overcome by your great redemptive acts of love.  You have remembered your promises and your oaths to the fathers of the faith.  YOU LORD, have been faithful.  LORD, give to me the knowledge of salvation and deep appreciation for the forgiveness of my sins.  Thank you, LORD, for your tender mercy and the truth of your great love which brings us to YOUR peace.  LORD open our eyes to all that you have revealed.  

Lord of mercy, give to us mercy today.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment