Friday, April 1, 2016

The marriage of grief and joy in prayer

1 Peter 1:6-7

6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Lord, here in the words of brother Peter I see my reality.  Or what I think should be my reality.  I am grieved by various painful losses and events.  My world, the one I knew and lived in has been lost.   How then can I rejoice since I grieve?  Because my faith is being made into a purer and better quality.  It is becoming purified gold.   This faith will at the second coming and resurrection bring to the Messiah Jesus praise, glory, and honor.  The LORD Jesus will be held high by the faith that the Spirit has created through these disasters of these days.  Joy and grief; grief and joy are married. 

Job 23:9-11

9 on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him;
he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him.
10 But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.
11 My foot has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have not turned aside. (ESV)

Lord, during the times of struggle, loss, and darkness,  like brother Job, it is hard for us to see YOU.  We look to the left and we look to the right and we do not understand or comprehend what you are doing.  To the left is a scorched earth where once there was a fruitful field and to the right a graveyard where once our home stood.   No sign of YOU or of your compassion, care, or concern that we can see.  

Help me to know that you know my way.  Help me see that you are purifying my inner trust.  Making pure my relationship with you of idols and selfishness.  Hold my lifestyle faithful to you.  Let me follow you more nearly.  Let me not turn aside from your ways.  

Teach me to trust you in the dark.  Lord have mercy now today.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment