Friday, September 18, 2015

Finding humility in our sadness

1Pe 5:6-7 NASB - "6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

When we suffer loss, we are in a situation that calls for humility.  Humility is facing reality.  The reality is that we are not in control.  The reality is that God’s mighty hand is in control.  Suffering, calls us to choose to accept this real state of affairs or be caught in an impossible rebellion and temper tantrum against God. 

Yet, it is not easy to be humble because this particular reality of who we are and who God is, in the middle of suffering, pain, and loss, screams at us and we so desire to have some control in the uncontrollable moments.   So normally we move towards humility slowly and with hesitation.  Eventually the weight of things causes us to collapse before God.  We find ourselves, surrendering and accepting the unacceptable.

The good news is that God has promised that as we slowly move towards humility HE will at the right time and in the right way lift us up from the dust of despair and desperation into HIS peace.   What is the sign that we are finding humility?  

It is the casting, throwing, and surrendering of all our worries, fears, and stress upon HIM in a very deliberate time of prayer in which we tell HIM our whole story and all our feelings.  This is a “gut” prayer where we treat God as our best friend and pour it all out on the LORD.  

Why would we do this?  It is based on a simple but profound theological truth.  

God cares for you deeply with a devoted love.  Your pain matters to the Maker of heaven and earth and the Redeemer of believers in Jesus.  

God wants to hear about it more than anyone else.   Therefore, tell him how tired, weak, worn, disappointed, depressed, and desperate you are and the real state of your soul.  

He can handle it.  He will help you handle it. 

Prayer

Lord, it is easier to run from my weakness and sadness than admit to you or even to myself.  I never thought life would be this hard and I know that others have it even harder then me.  The whole mess is hard to accept.   Lord, hear the cry and concerns of my heart.  I am at the end of my strength and sanity.  Only you can lift me up now.  Only you can comfort me now.  So come and help me.  Without you I am done.  You are my one hope.  Thank you for caring for me and help me believe that you care for me.  Lord, I believe, help my unbelief, pride, and rebellion to end.  Lord, thank you for having mercy on me in the middle of all this struggle and pain.   Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment